Re: RE: blown R/T

From: Craig Baltzer (Craig.Baltzer@anjura.com)
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 12:52:26 EST

Shelby made his name with Ford in the 60s, doing a lot of work with Iacocca
and the boys on the Mustangs. He was the lead on their SCCA racing program
during that time.

In late years he has become a "sticker" brand for Dodge. In a recent
interview that was on Speedvision, he talked about some of the 'projects' he
had been involved with. The only Dodge/Chrysler project that he had anything
good to say about was the Viper; the rest were "interesting ideas on limited
platforms". He was quite unkind to the Durango (but then again, it was put
together by Performance West, Race Truck Trends and a couple of other
suppliers, so it doesn't have anything to do with Shelby other than carry
his name). But then again, he is a car guy who likes to race, so trucks are
not exactly the best platform for those kinds of interests...

Oh, he's now a GM guy (for the new Shelby Series 1 he's using the Aurora V8
because it was the "only technologically advanced" North American V8
available (other than the Caddy Northstar, which didn't have the racing
background that the Aurora did)...

Craig