Cavalier Z-24

From: Dave Rench (renchd@krause.com)
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 12:28:42 EST

I'm not sure what year Z-24 we're dealing with here, but I had an 1989 5
speed (before I learned the error of my ways). Totally stock it was good
for 16.2's at 83 MPH which is about what my Dakota (V-8 Auto) ran stock.
This was a 2.8 V-6 the 1990 model was a 3.1 V-6 which would be about a
tenth quicker. Automatics were a few tenths slower. New base Cavaliers
are 2.2's which shouldn't be a problem for any V-6 or V-8 Dakota. The Z-24
is a DOHC 4 cylinder ( derivative of the Olds Quad 4). I believe it's
rated at 150 or 160 hp. A 5 speed with a decent driver behind the wheel
runs in the 15.5-15.8 range.

Given the above, I would imagine that most list members could take out an
early Z-24. Later ones might be a little more difficult, but I would think
the R/T's and the modified Dakotas could take them. One of the
difficulties of "street racing" is that their is no "redlight" starts, etc.
 Since its possible for someone to get a jump of nearly a second on the
street, you cna have quite a discrepancy in vehicle performance and still
have a close race.

Having said all that, would somebody just go out there and spank that
Z-24!!!
Dave Rench
1997 2WD RC V-8 Auto 3.55 SG, 10"FABM, MSD 8.5, F & B Stage 1 TB, Hooker
Aerochamber Muffler