RE: Erratic Gas Gauge

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 08 1999 - 18:37:44 EST

> I second this.....when my sending unit went out, after warranty expired, I
> replaced just the sending unit. Well 2 weeks later my fuel pump also
> went(for
> the 3rd time) and I had to drop the gas tank AGAIN. Not that it was bad
> dropping the tank, but I could have done it at the same time the sending
> unit
> went out and saved about 5 hours of work.
> Kyle
> 93 Dakota 4x4 V6

   Speaking of replacing the fuel pump, would it be worth looking into
installing an aftermarket pump and filter which would reside outside of
the tank? One of these days, I'll probably be pulling the bed to install
a second pump and fuel line for a wet nitrous system, and I was wondering
if it would be worthwhile to just scrap the stock system and replace it
at the same time? Seems like the fuel pump is a real weak point, and
it might be better to go with something simpler? That would also
allow the fuel filter to be inspected and replaced a lot easier
in the future...

                                              -Jon-