RE: new email address CABLE MODEMS?

From: Sam Parthemer (maverick_nr552@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 15:51:47 EST

>From: Peter Anthony on 02/09/99 02:13 PM
>
>Here's a twist. how do you cable modem folks feel about xDSL?
>I have a 7.1 Mbs drop here at work for internet access and I pay 189.99
mo
>(vs. the 1500.00 a month we were paying for a full T1 1.544Mbs)

XDSL is great, but the price structure still cannot touch a cable modem
for home and SOHO users. Even with a 7.1 Mbs downstream to you, when
you get to Jon's DML server, it pokes along at not more than
12kbs/second (112kbps--speed of B1/B2 channel of ISDN)..Still twice as
fast as 56K dialup, but all of the wait time is on the far end (not on
the xDSL end.) This is a common issue with all sights. My cable modem
vs. a xDSL line of greater or equal speed with average the
same throughput to systems that are a)busy, or b)served with a backbone
of dual T1 or less.

If I go to Microsoft.com, I can get roughly 175kbs/second or 1.75 mbs.
(Faster than a T1) because Microsoft has a BIG pipe to the net.

Dakota Content: Bigger pipe, not always better on Dakota, Bigger pipe
ALLWAYS better on Internet.

Sam '99 RT