Modifications for 3.9L V6

From: WClippard@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 09 1999 - 20:48:18 EST

Hello fellow Dakota owners:

I'm new to the group so go easy on me...

I've have a 1991 Dodge Dakota 4x2 V6 auto reg cab long bed. Nothing
fancy, but it gets the job done. I bought it brand new in Texas. I will tell
the horror stories of spark knocking and pinging which started after
9k miles later.

What I'm most interested in is any modifications to the 3.9L V6. I kick
myself all the time for not opting for the V8, but my butt is numb. So I
would like any advice or examples of modifications to the V6. I realize
I will never have the break neck power of my WIFE's car (95 Impala SS).
Too bad I can't swap engine's with her :)

I'm really interested in exhaust modifications (headers and or mufflers),
K&N air filters and if a thermostat change would help me. There is a
lot of talk about the thermostat change on V8's, but I have not found
any one changing it on a V6. The temp gauge never really shows the
engine over heating, but I notice steam coming off the hood when it
rains. It appears the hood/engine is hot enough to produce steam. This
is why I'm interested in the thermostat change.

Thanks for any info,
Bucky

I'm not here to bash Dodge, but I'll share my not so fun experiences
in trying to fix my Dakota later.