Re: RE: Cable Modem

From: mccabet@mediaone.net
Date: Thu Feb 11 1999 - 01:02:18 EST

"Bernd D. Ratsch" wrote:

> Cable Modems are still considered a "New Idea" by corporate standards. (The
> same goes for ADSL.) ISDN has been the choice for most home users since the
> overall and initial cost are much less than the above. You can also push
> the ISDN modems/routers up to 230K UP/DOWNLOAD without any problems..this
> does depend on the site though. I've been running my old BitsurferPRO with
> a TurboPort 920 card (16750UART CoProcessed Serial Card) at 230K for the
> past 2 years without any problems..and this is also taking into
> consideration that I run an NT Proxy Server at home for three different
> workstations (all running DHCP with full access to the internet and email).

I have both ISDN and a cable modem. My experience with ISDN is nothing
compared
to the cable modem. The ISDN (dial up) costs usually 19.95 for one
channel of 64K Bits.
Two channels can be used at the same time to obtain 128K Bits. The use
of compression
and a fast serial card ( the turboport) will achieve higher throughput.
However,
in my opnion, for the same $$$, I'll take a cable modem over ISDN.

> Cable modems can be setup to do this as well, but with some
> difficulty...Home ADSL uses a static IP and does not allow Proxy Servers
> since it communicates with ISP via IP Translation through the routers.

Not all ADSL modems use a static IP. There are currently ADSL modems
that use PPP,
DHCP, and Bridging. Proxy servers can be used with an ADSL modem just
like my cable
modem. It may require a bit of creativity, but it can be done.

> Pro's/Cons:
>
> Cable Modems - Fast, but highly susceptible to "slowdowns" due to increased
> client usage over smaller backbone. Also not available in most cities (CA is
> very limited - Fremont was the test city)

Agreed, in my area, I have seen Downloads around 150K Bytes per second
to less than
1K Byte per second.

> ADSL - VERY Fast - 384K+, but you "pay to play". More speed, more money.
> Initial equipment is around $700 for a good Router. (No extra phone lines
> available)

There are ADSL systems that support up to 8Megabit down to the user and
1 Megabit up
to the central office. You can use an ADSL modem connected to an
ethernet hub in most
cases. A Router can be used, but is not always required.

> ISDN - Fast and inexpensive alternative to 56K modems. Allows 2 phone lines
> and also allows Incoming/Outgoing phone call while surfing.

I personally did not see much improvement between ISDN and my V.90
modem. It was
most likely limited by my ISP.

> Bernd D. Ratsch
> MCI/Systemhouse, Inc. - Sr. Systems Engineer (CNE, MCSE)

Just my 2 cents worth. ADSL and Cable Modems are in their infancy.
Prices will fall
once ADSL/Cable Modems become more popular and follow standards.

L8r

Thomas McCabe
Software Engineer, Westell Inc.

Disclaimer:

Views and opinions expressed are mine and mine alone. I am in no way
expressing the views of my employer at any time.

--
Thomas McCabe
-mccabet@mediaone.net