RE: Dakota not running to good

From: Weingart, Robert F (Robert) (rweingart@lucent.com)
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 10:30:29 EST

some Gumout like someone suggested, but also check the bi-metallic choke
spring. This thing can get rusty or worn over time and you may not have any
choke to help you on a cold start. When the truck is fully cold, take off
the aircleaner. Pump the throttle and see if the choke clicks closed. If
not, that may be your problem.

  The other driveability problem just sounds like the carb is a little dirty
or your idle speed is slightly low. Just bump it up a little. On the old
small block Chryslers, I like to have a idle speed of about 800 RPM IN GEAR.
It should be about the same for this truck.

  Also, with regards to the warming up problem. Check the Manifold Heat
Control Valve. It may be stuck open. This will definitely cause a cold
weather driveability problem. Mopar sells a penetrant (at least they used
to) made especially for this valve. It is like a very thick and heavy
liquid wrench (but I think it is less flammable). Spray it on and work the
valve back and forth to free it up.

Don't you just love carbs?

-Rob Weingart

<<<

I have a 1987 Dodge Dakota with the 3.9L V6 and an automatic tranny. It has
about
98,000 miles on it. Here is my problem, whenever I go to start my truck I
have to
press the gas at least two three times for it to even start, and if I don't
then
it will just keep cranking. Whenever I drive it like on the highway or some
long rode
and then slow down to a stop light it wants to stall. I have to let it warm
up for like
10 min. before I drive it, for it too even run decent. I was wondering is
there
a problem with my carb., and can it be fixed. If it isn't my carb than would
you
have any other suggestions about what might be wrong. Thanks ALOT!!!