Re: steering clunk(long but, very usefull for the clunkers!)

From: Dak99RT@aol.com
Date: Fri Feb 12 1999 - 19:42:26 EST

This is along post so forgive me. Below I put to gether a collection of
information on the steering wheel clunk in the Dakotas It can happen in ALL
the new style Dakotas 97-99. I hope it helps print this page and take with you
to the dealer...I'm still fighting with mine about it but it looks like I am
going to get it fixed(made them call the district service rep) the last post
at the bottom is the best help. Good Luck
Charles smith
1999 Dakota R/T
15.1@95 mph (g-tech)
Check out my site...copy and paste the line below into your browser

http://members.aol.com/ican2u7176/index.htm

(poping in front end)
Does it happen when you are turning or the truck is moving on the suspension ?

If so , there is a TSB out for this in reference to the brake/ABS lines
rubbing the inner fender .
I had the same problem with my R/T.  In my case it was the intermediate
steering shaft.  3 trips to fix that one.  Make sure they check
it out.
Steering Wheel Clunk:
I had mine check the intermedate shaft, it was ok, he changed the rack and
penion, problem solved.
Bob
kbshadow@email.msn.com (Bob)
I took mine in for a clunk at low speed turns and turning the wheel while
stopped , they checked the shaft and said it was ok, they put a new rack and
penion in and problem solved.
I have a 98.
Bob(same bob as right above different time)
It was the intermediate steering shaft on my '98 R/T, the rack hasn't
been replaced and the clunk is gone. Alan S.
Mine was the intermediate steering shaft.
Ryan K

Ya know, I only hear the clunk when I park or make a hard right turn.
When I park it is always a right hand turn at home. I can also feel it
in the floor board as well as hear it. I too would like to know what
the problem is before I blow a day at the dealer. Thanks. Jason

Oh sorry, yes I have a '99 R/T RC....
Jason
2/11/99 5:21 PM
This is the full TSB from the NHTSA web site. I had this done to me truck
when it was new, but the problem came back and I will have to have it done
again. The problem is in the slip joint between the top and bottom sections.
The shaft s bounced by the road and it causes the joint, designed to
collapse in the even of a head on to keep from perferating you with the
steering wheel, to open up which is why you feel the clunking. You can reach
into the engine compartment and grab the shaft and give it a firm wiggle. If
it moves, or you can feel movement, the joint is worn. Ram trucks had the
same problem, though Chrysler seems to have fixed them, so now they give us
the bad parts. BTW, the TSB lists only 4X4's but there have been enough
people with RT's and other 2 wheel drives that have had the problem fixed
under the TSB that they should not give you any hassle. If they do, make
them call Chrysler while you are there.
John

Service Bulletin Number: 971121191297
Bulletin Sequence Number: