Re: Headers & Reseting Comp

From: brian duffey (brian.duffey@intelsat.int)
Date: Tue Feb 16 1999 - 07:59:00 EST

Jon covered the question quite well (as always)!
I'd just add that disconnecting the battery is a good idea (safety wise)
anytime you are doing work within the engine compartment. Then your computer
will be reset once you finish the work and hook it back up.

I've only ever heard a few 'horror' stories of accidents/problems resulting
from not disconnecting the Batt., but for the small amount of time it takes,
I figure it is a pretty simple precaution.

Duff
-------------
Original Text
From STEI0302@SMTPGATE (Jon Steiger) {stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu}, on
14/02/1999 5:39 AM:
To: DAKOTA-T@SMTPGATE {dakota-truck@buffnet.net}

At 12:16 AM 2/14/99 -0800, you wrote:
>Last weekend I installed a pair of JBA headers, I wasn't aware that you
>are supposed to 'reset' the computer. Why do we have to do this,
>doesn't the truck reset itself when you start it up?? I know that the
>LT1 does that. What would be the use of the O2 sensors then if it
>didn't adjust itself to the changes that the headers represent. I can
>understand maybe taking 50 or 100 miles to see that the new condition is
>now constant... I don't understand please explain this to me. Thanks.

   The O2 sensors are used to try and keep the A/F ratio at
stoch, and to monitor the condition of the cat. As far as engine
operation is concerned, the computer will compensate in that regard,
but what people are talking about when they mention resetting the
computer is performance. As I understand it, the Mopar computers have
a sort of "memory". They learn your driving habits and develop a
sort of "bias" depending on how you drive. If you keep your foot in
it all the time, the computer will optomize for all out performance.
If you granny it, it'll probably optomize for good gas mileage or
something like that. Anyway, its a complicated little bugger, so in
many people's opinion, its best to reset the computer and start over
from square one than to start from some indeterminant "performance
profile". Its like introducing the computer to the engine for the
very first time. It might not actually be nescessary in many
cases, but who really knows for sure? Better safe than slow. ;-)
Its easy to do and the only real hassle is having to reprogram
your favorite stations back into the radio. :-)

                                               -Jon-