Re: Re[2]: Spark Plugs Once Again

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Mon Feb 15 1999 - 21:49:13 EST

>Seems like you're spending way too much time and effort on plug gap -
the

Jeez, I thought I was the only one thinking that.

>only guys I know that do that are hardcore racers. Put an MSD6A
ignition on
>there - if you still have problems, then there is something SERIOUSLY
wrong
>somewhere between the distributor, coil and wires. I presume you've
tried

My bet is bad plugs, wires, or the wires aren't on good. Not only does
the boot have to slide down on the plug, but the terminal has to
click...same on the distributor cap.
>different plugs (every once in a while some bad ones get thru). With
MSD
>you can generally run 0.050" gap (narrowest gap between elbow and
center
>electrode).

I put MSD 8.5 Super Conductors, champion truck plugs, and an MSD Blaster
coil on this weekend. I was going to put my MSD on it, but evidently
the trigger wire side is bad. The magnetic pickup side worked fine, but
I didn't get a spark.
Even so, I have my plugs gapped at 0.060" and it runs fine. Fast, slow,
idle, start, under a load up a hill, in 28 degree weather and 65 degree
weather. It starts easier and idles so smooth now. I can't wait till I
get the MSD fixed and it can make use of those gaps.

>I have heard from a coupla sources that the distributor is sometimes a
>little off-center on the 318's - just something else to keep in
mind.......

?????

--

Drew Schofield Visit my web page at http://www.angelfire.com/tn/page4drew