RE: Help on Mopar Wires

From: Bridges, Bruce (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 12:10:32 EST

Jason,
Dont solder to the carbon core! (unless your actually putting solid core
wires on your Dak, in which case youve also got a radio delete option?
probably play havoc with your computer too!) It is conductive but not
solderable. Dont stick it through the holes. Ignore the holes, they are
tooling holes for the lug manufacturing... You can get a crimp tool from
PepBoys, Autozone etc. for a few bucks. They come with instructions for the
most part. You strip the silicone from the wire end about 3/8 of an inch,
fold back the conductor along the wire's insulation and crimp the end on
over the conductor. At the voltage/current levels the system works at thats
all it needs to conduct. Your stock wires should be made virtually the same
way. Ive got the Mopar wires on my Barracuda and thats how I did it and
they work good, BUT, dont expect the boot to do the full strain relief:ie:
dont pull the wires off by the wire! Use a removal tool or you will need to
put new connectors on the wires. Definitly buy the crimp tool though, you
will get a much better connection than "hand crafting" it!
BKB