Re: Chevy Vortec V8?

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 13:25:12 EST

At 08:15 AM 2/18/1999 -0600, you wrote:

>Date sent: Thu, 18 Feb 99 03:29:20 EST
>From: Jon Steiger <stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu>
>To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
>Subject: DML: Chevy Vortec V8?
>Send reply to: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
>
>> Hey, what's the deal with all the Chebby commercials lately
>> saying that their truck comes with a V8 more powerful than Ferd
>> or Dodge? Are they lying about their horsepower figures
>> again, or is this for real? (And if it is, what is Ma Mopar
>> doing about it?) :-)
>>

>> -Jon-
>
>All of Chevy's V8's are rated higher than Dodges. They range from
>255 to 300 HP. The 270 HP 5.3 put out less RWHP than the 245 HP
>5.9 though. The general is fibbing a bit.
>

>|{eith R. Phelps
>krp at netnitco dot net
>
>Cat..... the other white meat.

Yup, in a test in a 4x4 mag(don't remember which one), the 5.3L (rated 270
hp) put out 180 - 190 horses at the rear wheels. Someone is fibbing, or
there is a TON of driveline loss! The diesel ram put out 520-ish lb/ft
torque (I think - don't quote me!) at the rear wheels...a bit underrated
from the 450 factory number....

Brian