O/D on or off

From: j.ham (j.ham@CWIX.com)
Date: Thu Feb 18 1999 - 22:31:55 EST

switch and thought I'd offer my .02.

    I drive a 96 Dak CC Sport with the magnum 318/4spd auto. I get a
consistant 17mpg whether I'm driving or the wife is driving. I sure don't
drive it like Grandma either. When I'm in town or towing I take the O/D off.
The truck doesn't feel like it "lugs" as much and takes less pedal to get it
to go where I want it to.
    I towed my 94 LHS about 115 miles when the fuel rail sprang a leak in
Podunk Corners, CA. Took the O/D off to tow. I passed a K-5 Blazer pulling a
Datsun 510 going up a pretty steep grade like he was standing still. He gave
me one of them one finger salutes as I went by. The LHS is about 3800lbs. My
Dak performed without a hitch and pulled 15mpg on the trip.
    My Dak is stock Mechanically. I pulled the 14" open element off because
it sounded like it had a broken steam pipe in the morning. HISSSSSS. It
sounded great at WOT. I also removed the Jacobs Ignition since it had
developed a high speed cut out problem.
    I find a noticable difference in performance for the worse after
removing the two items mentioned above, but it seems mileage was not
affected.
    After I get a full time job I'll be back in the thick of it.

    More later, JonH