Re: '87 Dakota overheating

From: Kevin Rankin (Krrankin@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 15:53:51 EST

At 12:34 AM 2/19/99 -0500, you wrote:

><<
> My little brother has a '87 Dakota 2.2/5-speed and the gauge keeps
> indicating that the truck is overheating, but the coolant is only reaching
> 188 degrees. He's changed the guage, sending unit, thermostat, and radiator
> (which was bad anyways). Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing
> this? >>
>
>Water pump?

Nah, my guess is that when you changed all of those items, you got air
trapped in the coolant system, and there is an air pocket trapped at the
coolant sensor. Since air heats quicker than water, the guage will read
hot, or overheat, and a thermostat stuck in the coolant will read normal.
Try bleeding the system by running the truck w/ the radiator cap off for
awhile and see what happens. Very common thing when you do cooling system
work.
Let me know what happens....

Kevin Rankin
KRRankin@earthlink.net