wider tires

From: das@phcpas.com
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 18:40:50 EST

Apparently I left a whole lot out of my original message so I'm going to
start over. I guess this is a good lesson for all of us. If we want info
on the effect of any mod to our trucks, it's going to depend on what truck
we're starting with. So here goes. I have a '97' Sport CC,318,auto,15X8
rims and 235x70 Goodyear tires. I would like to go to a wider tire for
improved traction and looks. I know I must keep the diameter of the tire
the same as the 235s so I don't mess with the computer. The appropriate
size appears to be 275x60x15. It is obviously wider and the overall diameter
is only 1mm larger than the 235s. Okay so far? My question is, Has anyone
else gone this wide? Will I have enough clearance in the front wheel wells?
I am riding at stock heighth, but am contemplating a 3" drop.Lock to lock,
are the fatter tires going to rub on anything? Also, can I expect lower gas
mileage? Are there any detrimental effects of doing this? Hopefully,this
is enough info. Thanks in advance. You guys are great. David
         (__) ,---------. NOTE: The preceding message was sent via Jaek and
         (oo) | :\/: _ _ \ Jon's WWW mail cow gateway. That is to say, the
  /-------\/_/ : :: :: : ) person who sent this message could in fact be an
 / | MAIL|| \_ ' '`-'`-'/ anonymous prankster. Even though this message was
* ||"" || \__________/ mailed to you from the cs.fredonia.edu domain, it
   ^^ ^^ could have been generated by anyone in the world.
Please keep this in mind. Thank you! --Jaek (smit2204) and -Jon- (stei0302)