little brother is getting hot!

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Fri Feb 19 1999 - 22:43:18 EST

"
    My little brother has a '87 Dakota 2.2/5-speed and the gauge keeps
indicating that the truck is overheating, but the coolant is only
reaching
188 degrees. He's changed the guage, sending unit, thermostat, and
radiator
(which was bad anyways). Does anyone have any ideas what might be
causing
this? "

-How have you determined that the antifreeze is only reaching 188* ?
Are you putting a probe in the radiator? If so and the problem stems
from a lack of coolant flow, it wont read hot there anyway. These 2.5's
like to eat head gaskets too. Water pump impeller broke loose? Need
more info first...
Also, does it run cooler when driving, or only sitting still? How's the
fan clutch..
  Give us a little more info, let's see what we can do..
Patrick