Changing Rear Axle Ratio

From: WClippard@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 07:49:21 EST

I'm not sure, but I believe Dodge has only offered two setups for the rear
axle ratio on Dakota's - 3.55 & 3.92. I know there is limited slip options,
but are there any other options for a ratio like 4.10? Majority seems to
be the 3.55 ratio (which is what I have).

I have a 1991 V6 4x2 long bed. Since I have it running well enough to
keep, I would like to consider swapping a 3.55 for 3.92 or maybe a
4.10 ratio. Reason? I have an 18' boat (approx. 3K pounds) which I
tow occasionally. I'll get me a little Honda to drive to work since I know
gas mileage will go down the tube. I've called the local 4x4 shops and
they gave an estimate of $400-500. Local Dodge dealership gave the
same quote. I was looking at Westcoast Differentials and it looks like
the swap needs a lot of specialty tools. Thought I could find a whole
used rear axle with a 3.92 and limited slip, but they run around $600
an up (if you can find 'em).

Thanks for any info or advice,

Bucky