re: tailgate down means poorer gas mileage

From: brian duffey (brian.duffey@intelsat.int)
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 13:31:00 EST

Hey... Thanks!
I almost bought one of those tailgate nets last weekend to use on my long
summer drives, just to increase my mileage. The letters expaining the
areodynamics are pretty good & I can see what they mean by the 'bubble' that
forms in the bed of the truck. During the fall, when leaves fall in the back
of the truck I can watch them spin in a circle in the bed as I cruise down
the road. Unfortunately, they rarely blow out... gotta leave the tailgate
down for that.

I've also experienced the 'safety' issue. Last fall I left the tailgate down
to blow some crap out on a long drive home. Unfortunately, when I got into
town, some idiot rear ended my lowered tailgate as I waited for the driver
in front of me to make a left turn.

The guy who hit me? - Expired learners permit, no insurance, didn't speak a
lick of english & was driving a borrowed truck. I had to go to court to
testify against the guy. He got a $100 fine plus court costs! thank God I
have good insurance!

Duff
Original Text
From MRDANCER@SMTPGATE (mrdancer) {mrdancer@camalott.com}, on 20/02/1999
12:49 PM:
To: DAKOTA-T@SMTPGATE {dakota-truck@buffnet.net}

Here's a URL that explains it pretty well......

http://cartalk.cars.com/Columns/CC/CC7237TXT.html