Re: RE: Shift Indicator Light

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 14:39:46 EST

At 09:54 AM 2/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
>> Does anyone know how to disable that stupid
>> shift indicator light?
>> Bob
>
>Get up under the dash, find the wire that goes to it, and cut it. Or just
>cover it with a piece of tape.

  Yep, that's probably what I'd do too. (cut it) Actually, what I'd do is
to cut it and put a male terminal on one end and a female on the other.
Then, if you ever want to sell the truck, you can just connect them together
in about 5 seconds without having to mess with a wire nut or something.

  One thing that I've thought might be kind of neat is to take apart the dash
and replace the light behind there with one of those super-bright LEDs,
like the kind they use for 18 wheeler headlights or brake lights. Then,
you use that as your shift light output. (maybe use something from MSD, or
use a microcontroller to monitor RPM and turn on the light at a specific
RPM). That way, you've got a "competition" (drag racing) shift light, but
its completely sleeper! No big honkin' tach on your dash. :-)

                                               -Jon-