Re: Suspension lift vs. Body lift

From: GrnDak4x4@aol.com
Date: Sat Feb 20 1999 - 21:43:25 EST

I plan on getting TrailMaster's 4" Lift sometime in the late fall of 99,
possibly early 2000; I am going to get the 4" kit with the front skid plate,
dual front steering stabilizers, and dual shock mounts and dual shocks at each
corner. I also plan on putting on some HD torsion bars, made by Sway-A-Way. As
far as tires and rims, I am waiting to hear from TrailMaster on that; wrote
them a 3 page letter with questions concerning recommended rim backspacing,
tire size choice, etc. They sent me an instruction manual on the installation
of the kit about 5 months ago, and let me tell you guys, its very, very
complete! I am excited to get it on my Dakota. In a catalog I also have for
TrailMaster, they have a Dakota with the lift kit running 32x11.50's, this is
what I plan on running when I get the kit. The catalog suggests a backspacing
of 3 3/4 inches for the rim. I local 4WD shop, that is very good and has been
in business for 15+ years, looked at the manual and told me they would do the
lift, mount the tires, the torsion bars and do an alignment for $800; I am
currently looking at two more shops to see what they charge. The kit it self
with the optional accessories I think will run about $1750. The HD torsion
bars are $200. Maybe some HD rear springs will be in the works also, but that
just a another $85 per side for 2500 pound rater leafs; not too bad! I will
also eventually swap out my gears(3.55's) for 3.9's, to compensate for the
larger tires. Going from LT235 tires, that are 28.5 inches in diameter, to
32's that are 31.8 inches in diameter, the 3.9 gears will put my engine rpm
back within 50 rpm of the stock tires/gears at 55mph. I plan on spending about
$5000 for the entire process; but it will be exactly what I WANT. I figure
that for $5000, I will save $20,000 by not having to buy a new truck; plus I
will be very intensly satisfied with it. My truck just hit 101,000 miles
today, so bascially the suspension will be brand new after the lift and I will
finally have the truck I want! Can't wait after planning this lift for 3
years!
Kyle
93 Dakota 4x4 V6