S-bolt, K&N, comments and ramblings

From: RCPL-VAN CNIWR (RCPL-VAN_CNIWR@van.reid-crowther.com)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 09:25:28 EST

     Hey, all. To Dave (gbogh@home.com), fellow Lower Mainlander, eh?
     Cool. What do you drive? Maybe I've seen you around. I have a copy of
     the s-bolt diagram, and can fax you it. Send me a private email. Look
     forward to talking to another R/T guy from here.

     I bought the 14x3 cleaner with the DROPPED base, and the 1/2" spacer.
     I know I asked before what I need to do to make this fit, and the
     answer was to get the upper rad hose from a 318 GC, but the
     dropped/flat base issue wasn't discussed. I took the air hat off
     yesterday, and I don't know if the dropped base will fit. So, dropped
     or flat? That factory rod for the air hat nut wasn't tight, it wiggled
     around a fair bit. Is this normal? Tried tightening the nut, but it
     didn't do anything. Mike Caitlin, what do you flip around to reuse the
     factory piece and not the s-bolt?

     So its been about 1700 kms and for Frank, heres what I have to report:

     - Steering clunks, cab pops on right turn, less than decent mileage
     (but hey, we all knew that when we bought it), trans. dipstick doesn't
     go in, tranny whines at about 55 kmh when off the power, vibration at
     140 kmh. The pop will get fixed, as well as the steering which is
     annoying, but the whines I figure isn't critical. I had a 81 Jimy 2WD
     with posi and it whined loud at 80 kmh. I don't have the reverse
     noise.

     - I love everything else about it, and even though it has those
     problems, I don't think its poorly built. I am just disappointed that
     CC didn't address the cab pop, dipstick, or steering clunk when it was
     on the assembly line. It was only built on Jan. 21, and the TSBs were
     already out for the 98s. Oh, well.

     Sorry for the long post, I just love talking about our trucks.

     Chad Niwranski
     99 R/T CC b/a
     Abbotsford, BC