Re: Exhaust Magic...

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Mon Feb 22 1999 - 20:35:13 EST

I've been posting a few comments on exhaust, but most of it is theory
(proven in other applications). In general, there is a positive correlation
between exhaust pipe diameter and peak horsepower and torque. In other
words, small diameter pipe will place the hp and torque peaks low in the rpm
range, whereas large-diameter pipe will place the hp and torque peaks high
in the rpm range (plus give you higher peaks overall).

Same can be said for pipe length. Short pipes will give you lotsa hp, but
it will be higher in the powerband. Long pipes will give you less hp, but
it will be lower in the powerband where you use it in everyday driving.

This information applies to intake systems as well, with the same
relationships occurring. The real art is in perfecting pipe diameter and
length to take advantage of scavenging (or Ram-air effect in case of
intakes) to give you "free turbocharging".

Much of this info is available in the PowerPro Series book "How To Build &
Modify Intake & Exhaust Systems". It's an informative book for anyone
interested in learning all about intake and exhaust systems.