Re: Viper Truck -Reply -Reply

From: mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes) (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 19:18:14 EST

Also, I will add this =)
the Viper V10's higher output and the extra weigh from the Ram probably
zaps gas mileage.. and highway mileage on a truck sucks anyway, so it
probably didn't meet the "gas mileage" standards...which is what got the
454SS axed.. the Viper is already subject to a "gas guzzler" tax because
of it's lack of economy (who needs it anyway?hehe) I can't imagine the
Viper Ram to be able to even hang with the Viper's MPG numbers... If it
did make production, you probably wouldn't see it for more than 1 year,
and it probably wouldn't even be allowed IN california =)

-mike d.

>>> mrdancer <mrdancer@camalott.com> 02/22/99 11:14pm >>>
The Viper's V-10 has a hotter cam - probably created more emissions
tugging
that big RAM around.....
Also, better breathing does not necessarily equate to better mileage.
Often, you'll get better mileage with smaller intake and exhaust runners,
as
they enhance velocity (which in turn increases your manifold vacuum,
btw),
but not mass air flow. OTOH, for performance purposes, you need lots
of
air flow to get lotsa hp, and this will often kill your velocity at low
rpm's, thus you have no power at lower rpm's (where you do most
cruising).
It's really a trade-off between performance and mileage (although there
are
some good compromises, such as extrude-honing).

Also keep in mind that with more airflow, you need to burn more fuel to
keep
your stoichiometric air/fuel ratio.