SplitFire vs Champion Truck Plug Test

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 22:30:33 EST

Ok. Had to do it...

I normally run SplitFire plugs in my '97 Dak and have had great results with
them. I read all the threads regarding the Champion Truck Plugs and the
Bosch Platinum+4's and decided to test them on my truck.

Well..I didn't bother with the Bosch plugs since most of the people who
tried them noticed drastic decreases in performance. (Now we don't want
that do we?)

Soooo...Here's the results:

SplitFire Plugs #TP522D:
First Run: 271 Miles w/16.92 Fillup - 16.01mpg
Second Run: 269 Miles w/16.86 Fillup - 15.95mpg

Champion Truck Plugs #4071:
First Run: 253 Miles w/16.76 Fillup - 15.09mpg
Second Run: 249 Miles w/16.82 Fillup - 14.75mpg

These numbers don't impress me anymore and confirm that the SplitFire plugs
DO work better. I also noticed smoother idle and better acceleration overall
with the (Old Reliable) SplitFire Plugs. The first three tests were with the
plugs set to .050" and the last one cleaned and put the Champion's back to
.045"...this actually made it worse.

Don't get me wrong, the Champion Plugs are not bad plugs...but the extra few
dollars for the SplitFire's is definitely worth it.

2-cents worth....

Bernd D. Ratsch
Pflugerville, TX
bernd@texas.net
http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd
1997 Dakota SLT-CC (3.9L)
License Plate Frame: "Don't Follow Me...I'm Trolling for Toyota's"
Song for the Day: "Gonna buy me a Dodge Truck and blow those Fords off the
road....."