Re: Re: 5 Speed vs. Automatic

From: Glen Renzoni (glenzoni@totacc.com)
Date: Tue Feb 23 1999 - 22:14:39 EST

OK, my last post on this issue (until it comes up again in another month
:~). I've had both an auto Dakota '92 4x4 CC 5.2 w/3.55s, and a stick
Dakota '95 4x2 RC 5.3 w/3.92s. How they matched up (considering very
similar engine mods, but different gears and weight). The auto would spin
the 30x12.5 M/T Bajas good in first, and chirp them in second. It would
also rock crawl great, go through any mud, run a 17.0 1/4 mile at 4,300
feet (not the greatest, but....), tow anything, get 18 mpg, and never
broke. The stick would boil the 295x50x15 BFG Radial TAs all the way
through first, second, and half way through third, eat mustangs for lunch
(and clutches), tow great, get 20 mpg, and spin too much to get a decent
1/4 mile time. It also twisted the rear axle once and broke three times
(last time out of warranty, ouch). My personal verdict? Glad my R/T came
with an auto. MHO. I'm done now :~).