Re: SplitFire vs Champion Truck Plug Test -Reply

From: mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes) (msykes@SU.EDU)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 21:02:56 EST

I knew a dude who put Splitfires in his truck... one day it just cut off
while driving. He got it towed to the dealer and they couldn't figure out
what was wrong. He took it to several places and all got the same
results, then one day he went to a dude who had been workin' on
performance motors for YEARS and the guy asked him right away "You
runnin' Splitfires?" My bud says yeah and the mechanic guy said "now
there's your problem". He proceeded to explain how Splitfires (due to
there "superior design") suck. He said that the gapping is made of a
cheap metal that expands hen it gets hot, thus increasing the spark plug
gapping untill the gap is too big for any spark to occur. The plugs were
gapped at .040 (factory for a Dak). He still used them, and kept havin' the
problems. He finally got rid of those things when he had to shut er' down
3 times in one trip to cool off so his truck would run... no more probs
after the Splits went out the door....

-mike d.

>>> mrdancer <mrdancer@camalott.com> 02/23/99 11:03pm >>>
Some of the aftermarket ignition companies don't recommend SplitFires
'cuz
their computers supposedly have trouble registering the resistance, etc.
in
the wires and plugs since either electrode on the SplitFire could be
firing........ least that's what they told me. I run SplitFires in my
'Wing, and Autolites in my Dak.