Front axle gear clank

From: Kevin Rankin (Krrankin@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Feb 24 1999 - 18:43:09 EST

I need to know if anyone has experienced this before. I own a 96 Dak CC V8
4x4 (auto). I hear a slight gear clanking from 5-40 mph while driving from
the front right wheel area (after that, wind noise drowns it out). It
changes pitch with vehicle speed, but is not engine dependant. It kinda
sounds like someone sticking a metal rod into a spoked bicycle wheel while
it's spinning. In fact, If I shut off the engine while in neutral (I know,
not good for trans, but it was just for a second) the noise remains. 2wd
or 4wd doesn't change the noise at all. I took it to the local dodge
dealer, and they verified the noise but couldn't find it (time for a new
dodge dealer). They pulled the wheel, brakes and hub, but found nothing
out of the ordinary.
I'm thinking that its in the front axle or gear assembly, but am not sure.
Gonna take it to another dodge dealer a little further away for 2nd opinion
(it under extended warranty). Anybody have any ideas?

Kevin Rankin
KRRankin@earthlink.net

"Out of the modem, through the server,
past the router, around the firewall,