Re: Re: SplitFire vs Champion Truck Plug Test -Reply-Reply

From: brian duffey (brian.duffey@intelsat.int)
Date: Fri Feb 26 1999 - 08:05:00 EST

Considering the number of lawsuits and negative judgements directed against
SplitFire
I'm not too surprised they would not refund any money. They probably don't
have a lot left!

Duff
-------------
Original Text
From MSYKES@SMTPGATE (mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes)) {MSykes@su.edu}, on
25/02/1999 8:24 PM:
To: DAKOTA-T@SMTPGATE {dakota-truck@buffnet.net}

My friend called splitfire to try to get his money back and they were like
"we've never heard of any such problem with our product so we will not
refund your money"... he called again about a month later and got the
same response, word for word (no really WORD FOR WORD!!)...
hhhmmm sounds fishy to me =)

-mike d.

>>> Chad <mcc@negia.net> 02/24/99 11:05pm >>>
This may be the problem with my truck. I've been runnin' Splitfires for
over 40,000 miles now. A while back it just cut off. Give it a while to
cool down and she would run great... for alittle while...

It only done it once and has hinted at doing it about three other times.
Hasn't even hinted at it in about 2 months. I did notice the previous
owner had the gap on these things set at .020!

Chad Clifton

"mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes)" wrote:

> I knew a dude who put Splitfires in his truck... one day it just cut off
> while driving. He got it towed to the dealer and they couldn't figure out
> what was wrong. He took it to several places and all got the same
> results, then one day he went to a dude who had been workin' on
> performance motors for YEARS and the guy asked him right away
"You
> runnin' Splitfires?" My bud says yeah and the mechanic guy said "now
> there's your problem". He proceeded to explain how Splitfires (due to
> there "superior design") suck. He said that the gapping is made of a
> cheap metal that expands hen it gets hot, thus increasing the spark
plug
> gapping untill the gap is too big for any spark to occur. The plugs were
> gapped at .040 (factory for a Dak). He still used them, and kept havin'
the
> problems. He finally got rid of those things when he had to shut er'
down
> 3 times in one trip to cool off so his truck would run... no more probs
> after the Splits went out the door....
>
> -mike d.

> Some of the aftermarket ignition companies don't recommend SplitFires
> 'cuz
> their computers supposedly have trouble registering the resistance,
etc.
> in
> the wires and plugs since either electrode on the SplitFire could be
> firing........ least that's what they told me. I run SplitFires in my
> 'Wing, and Autolites in my Dak.

SplitFire
> plugs
> >DO work better. I also noticed smoother idle and better acceleration
> overall
> >with the (Old Reliable) SplitFire Plugs. The first three tests were with
> the
> >plugs set to .050" and the last one cleaned and put the Champion's
back
> >.045"...this actually made it worse.
> >
> >Don't get me wrong, the Champion Plugs are not bad plugs...but the
> extra
> few
> >dollars for the SplitFire's is definitely worth it.
> >
> >2-cents worth....
> >

> >Bernd D. Ratsch
> >Pflugerville, TX
> >bernd@texas.net
> >http://lonestar.texas.net/~bernd
> >1997 Dakota SLT-CC (3.9L)
> >License Plate Frame: "Don't Follow Me...I'm Trolling for Toyota's"
> >Song for the Day: "Gonna buy me a Dodge Truck and blow those
Fords