RE:Cats out of the bag was: Dak R/T Exh? What the..

From: Bridges, Bruce (bbridges@alarismed.com)
Date: Fri Feb 26 1999 - 17:20:42 EST

Eric,
Its not such a bad cat... In fact, its a pretty good high flow cat
according to "the experts"... my Suggestion: Have the 2.5" diameter outlet
cut off (along with a bout 1/2" of the rear of the Cat) and have a 3" dia
pipe welded on to a new 3" diameter inlet and outlet muffler (ultrflo,
magneflow, etc). The head pipes leading to the cat are th biggest POS...
The Leach headers come with headpipes that connect to the dual inlet but
open it up to 2.25"dia. JBA headers can be ordred with 2" mandrel bent
headpipes that slip over the 2" inlet cat pipes... This system (JBA) works
great on my truck and seems to be about as free flowing as the truck likes!
(truck = 5300rpm MAX, peak HP and torque is a bit lower, flow velocities are
still OK in smaller pipes at that RPM) I saw whats inside the cat and its
not bad! Huge honeycomb matrix (as compared to the smaller Dak
converter)... Both shops I talked to said removing the cat and replacing it
is not worthwhile (on the R/T)...besides its illegal to mess with the cat in
CA prior to 50K miles (or so) My outlet mod is "marginally legal". If
you're in an area that doesnt "care" about cat removal, then remove it!
Your real concern should be the lousy crimped headpipes and the crummy 2.5"
catback section... Replace those and you get very noticable improvements in
power and mileage (on the R/T)...Some of these things (especially high flow
cats) may kill the low end torque of a 318 Dak so please experiment at your
own risk!!
.02
BKB
'98 R/T CC