FW: Did I stump everyone or what?4x4 question

From: Patrick Delgado (dadoctah@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat Feb 27 1999 - 07:48:08 EST

----------
From: "Patrick Delgado" <dadoctah@worldnet.att.net>
To: dakota-truck@buffnet.net
Subject: Re: DML: Did I stump everyone or what?4x4 question
Date: Fri, Feb 26, 1999, 6:53 PM

If you double the gear ratio you also double the torque to the wheels. But
more importantly, at low speeds, it spaces the ratios really close together so
that you you are better able to be in the right gear for the situation.
This helps *alot* when offroading; not enough gearing and you bog the engine,
too much and you're revving like a maniac and/or spinning the tires. It
basically turns a 4(or 5) speed tranny into an 8(or 10) speed.
Dr. Pat