Re: Re: 5 Speed vs. Automatic -Reply -Reply

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Sun Feb 28 1999 - 10:19:11 EST

I think they use the NV3500 in the Dakota because 1) it can handle the stock
motor's torque, 2) it's probably cheaper to build and lighter in weight
(thus better acceleration from less internal rotating mass), and 3) lighter
gears may mean easier shifting.

I know that some of the real-heavy-duty (usu. racing) manual trannys have
straight-cut gears. This makes them stronger, but much harder to shift.