Re: Re: Body Lifts

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Thu Apr 01 1999 - 20:23:25 EST

You are almost correct. The reason for the warning about the body
lifts...and I checked my old instructions...is because the bumpers are
relocated with aftermarket brackets and are not directly attached to the
frame anymore. The shock force transferred (however slight it may be) is
enough to alter the proper functionality of the airbag sensors. Also,
installing a grill guard (or brush guard) also changes the impact
measurement of the sensors.

It's a give and take situation...With the Brush/Grill Guard (atleast a good
one), you have a little bit more protection up front, however, this can also
change the way the crush zones work on the truck as well. With some of the
winch-mount bumpers that are about 6-8 inches thick, this makes it even
worse on the airbag sensors...but ya can drive right through a semi with
only a scratch on your Diamond Plate.

The Corporate Lawyers also have something in this to protect the companies
butts in the case that either the airbag didn't function properly, or you
plain out killed someone by driving right through them.

$.02