Re: Boycott Gas April 30th]

From: Pedro J. Diaz (pjdmd@mho.net)
Date: Thu Apr 01 1999 - 21:42:30 EST

Wrong answer. The reason we have some of the cheapest gas is that we
have fewer gas taxes than Europe. In our laissez-faire
American society, supply and demand rules. The sudden increase in
prices was not from a slight increase in cost of supply, but rather
because the Oil Companies had a reason to jack their prices to cover
unexpectedly low PROFITS.
Another argued that oil companies were going bankrupt. Wrong. They were
merging to cut costs because their profits were down and they can make
them up by eliminating redundancy. Companies groan when their projected
earnings are hurt by an unexpected fluctuation. Do not confuse their
hype for not making enough money. Even after Exxon paid the first
installment on their multi billion dollar Valdez settlement, they made
billions that QUARTER. My beef is that we are basically allowing
them to fix prices like some kind of cartel, all at the expense of the
Joe Schmos in 79 Impalas. Laying down quietly and passively will only
allow them to continue to fix prices.

Pedro J Diaz.
now, off to vacation in Puerto Rico!!!!!!

We have the cheapest gas in the world. Deal. When someone has you by
the
balls, do you complain about how hard they are squeezing? No, you thank

god because they could be squeezing harder.
Trottman