FABM noise problem found

From: Doug Myers (dougmyers@radix.net)
Date: Sun Apr 04 1999 - 19:08:44 EDT

    I emailed the list awhile back asking about a whistling/howling sound
coming from the 10" FABM I installed. It wasnt the normal noise, but almost
sounded like a vacuum leak... well, that's exactly what it was. On the
bottom of the Edelbrock 1208 air cleaner, there is a knock-out provided if
you need another smog hookup. Well, the cap that they tack-welded on mine
wasn't air tight...actually, you could see through it. What I did was put a
square piece of aluminum tape over the opening on the bottom to seal it, and
now it doesn't even whistle on startup when its cold. The engine runs even
better now, also. So now I've got even more power and its somewhat quiet
(comparatively). Just thought some people on the list might benefit from
this.

Doug Myers
'99 Dakota RC 318/5-speed/3.92SG
10" FABM w/10x2.5" K&N
Gibson Split-Rear Cat-Back (coming soon)
Fiberglass tonneau cover