Ceramic coating (longish)

From: Michael Clark (magnumv8@wt.net)
Date: Sun Apr 04 1999 - 23:46:35 EDT

I had my Doug Thorley (basicaly the same as leach) headers ceramic coated.
The nickle chrome plating isn't a problem. I had HPC do mine
 www.hpcoatings.com ). I sent them in used and they used some type of
chemical or acid to strip all the carbon and all of the nickle chrome off
down to the bare metal. Then they coated them inside and out. I've had
them on for about 7 months now and there hasn't been any discoloration.
There has been some slight "dulling" of the shine. Some of that was my
fault I believe because I used some engine degreaser once and I don't think
I rinsed it all off before I let the headers heat up again. But I'm sure
any of the Bastrop/Sealy attendees who looked at my headers would agree they
look great. HPC does sell some polish that is formulated for the ceramic
coating that is supposed to make them look all pretty again.

I originally only planned to coat the headers and leave the y-pipe as is.
But to have the y coated was only $40 more and when you think about it the y
pipe is in a pretty bad location, picking up all the rain, and mud and if
you live up north snow and salt... So I had mine coated. And the y pipe
does run fairly close to the tranny pan.... any heat you can keep out of the
tranny is a plus right?

And the coating does work! The ammount of heat under the hood has been
reduced to at least what it was with stock manifolds, and perhaps just a tad
more. Gene Rivers can attest to this as I showed him this in Sealy...

As far as price.... Here's is an email quote I recieved from HPC when I
enquired about having mine coated. One thing to note is that several weeks
after I recieved this quote and was ready to ship my headers, I called and
was given a higher quote. The guy on the phone told me to enclose a print
out of the email so they could match what I was quoted.... That's what I
did and they honored the first quote

=-=-