rip offs (long!)---> was Ebay

From: mike d. (Michael Z-Sykes) (msykes@su.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 17:30:49 EDT

oh man, this is looooooonnngggg, but it'll get you thinkin'...... the delete
key is directly to the right of the "\" =)

speaking of rip-offs, check out the skinny on some of the Car-stereo
stuff we know to be good.....

I was talkin' smack with the owner of a car stereo place about a gig
sellin' stuff. We got to talkin' tech and I asked him a few things about
manufacturing processes and stuff like that. First thing that surprised me
was JL Audio. Everyone praises thier subs, and they are nice, but.... 1 in
4 JL subs is defective because they don't make thier own stuff. They
contract out. It's basically a Milli Vanilli deal there. Since they don't make
their own subs, they have no quality control so they have a high rate of
defective products. Another thing about JL, they don't use a stamped
magnet, which is essential for quality construction at that kind of level.
And I could use some screw-down terminals on em' too.... the reason for
these cut corners is because JL (so to speak) is sellin' more subs than
they can produce, so they have to cut corners and use cheaper parts to
make enough...hhhmmmm.... another company to fall into this category is
Alpine. I was very dissapointed to hear that Alpine uses a Regulated 4 bit
DAC for it's CD players. I'm not gonna' go into detail on how bits and stuff
work with DAC's, but basically, a regulated 4 bit does the same thing as
a non-regulated 2 bit. This is the same DAC's that Kenwood, and
Optimistic uses...this is bad for a compant like Alpine who is supposed to
be the Top of the Top in sound quality. Keep reading, this is the biggest
shock...
Rockford-Fosgate, former manufacturer and designer of THE amps to
have, isn't what they used to be. RF lost their #1 designer, the one guy
responsible for RF's huge success in amps, the dude who gave RF the
name they have, now works for MTX. I've heard the new Rockford amps
and I was not impressed. I was however, impressed with the new MTX
amps.. they sound a lot like the old RF amps that were so popular. Why?
same dude designed it... trust me on this one, I used to be anti-MTX hard
core because I put MTX amp and subs in a girls car once, and couldn't
get it to sound good to save my life...now, MTX is where it's at.. go figure
=)

okay....I feel better now...

-mike d.

>>> Michael Stepka <mstepka@genesisdj.com> 03/31/99 11:22pm >>>
$425 for a 50x 4 AMP???? what are they crazy... I can get you a
100watt
x 4 California profile amp for around $110-$150. And an amp wiring kit
for around $30. That is ridiculous...

That is just like the other day, listen to this (This is how much car audio
shops rip your off). I went to a local well known car audio shop just to
look for a cell phone adapter. I was looking at some of there stuff, and
one thing I noticed because I want to install it on my truck is adding
power
locks to my truck with the conjunction of my alarm and remote starter.
And the actuator kit only cost $35.00 through A place I get discount
Audio &
Electronic supplies. And also I wanted to get a power windows kit. It
cost $59.00 through the place I can get it from. So you know that car
audio place is paying around that price or maybe less for that kit. Now
both these kits were exactly identical to what I can get through my
catalog.
Anyhow. To have the power door locks installed on any car, it was
$389.
Now it only cost them $35.00 for parts....and it is fairly easy to do.
That is a $350 labor cost!! Now get this, this is even better. For the
power windows kit on any car, to have it installed ONLY on 2
windows...
$849!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost Sh*t my pants. I even
asked the guy why they were ripping people off so bad, and why
someone would
even pay that, but he said people get them installed alot. Now that is
almost a $800 labor cost for something that is easy to install because it
just screws on the door panel and uses the original crank assembly.
You
just have to wire a switch in the door and then run 12 volts. So that
tells you how much you can get ripped on something like that. Same
thing
with some places that put remote starters and alarms in!!

Michael Stepka
98 Sport CC 4x4 V6
with all the chrome accessories
http://www.genesisdj.com/truck.html