Re: Loud Exhaust

From: David Henry (dhenry@advdata.net)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 17:44:25 EDT

Another thing that helps is to be outside when it's running. Try to decide
where it's the loudest. If it's just a loud exhaust, almost all the noise
will be from the tailpipe exit. If there are leaks, you'll hear sound
elsewhere.

One trick that I learned was to take a rag and stuff it in the tailpipe to
increase backpressure. You'll probably want to find someone to help and
make sure they have gloves since it will get warm. If there's a leak, this
causes more of the exhaust to go through it. In theory, if you can get it
right and it's a small leak (doesn't take much) it will whistle going
through making it easy to find.

I've never gotten the whistling noise, but what I do is move my hand along
the exhaust pipe (not touching it since it's nice and toasty warm) to try
and feel for air currents. This works good for the top of the pipe which
you usually can't see to well if the exhaust is on the truck. All it takes
is a leak about an eight of an inch to make a surprising difference in
sound level. I have a problem stop just after the Y pipe on top of the
pipe.

The cheap fix is to use the muffler mender goop and smear it over the small
hole (rubber gloves work well). You can get a tube for under 2 bucks.
 Welding would probably work better and be more permanent, but it's not 2
bucks either.

David Henry '94 CC 4x4 318 5Spd in MI