Re: The great tailgate controversy settled!

From: mrdancer (mrdancer@camalott.com)
Date: Wed Apr 07 1999 - 19:56:53 EDT

I didn't realize this was a controversy. I thought most everyone knew this
already. Although, back when I first got my Dak, I didn't know squat about
truck aerodynamics, so I did my own little test. Ran a long-distance
circuit twice the same day (was running errands). Ran it once with the gate
up and once with the gate down. Weather and road conditions were as
identical as could be, and I traveled same route, speed, etc. I got maybe a
0.5 mpg less with the tailgate down. This was on an unmodified '92 Dak, no
tonneau cover, etc.

Now that I know a lot more about aerodynamics, I think the most aerodynamic
truck (on the topside anyway) would have a shell that dropped at an angle
from the top of the cab to the top of the tailgate - sort of mimicing a
hatchback. This would eliminate most of the low-pressure area, leaving just
the small area behind the tailgate (a pointy airbag shaped like the old
Superbird nosecone would take care of that area). This would give the truck
an overall 'tear-drop' shape, but it would look kinda goofy.....

'92 Dak CC 2wd 318 3.55
'84 GoldWing Interstate