Re: Poor Man's Ram Air?

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 08 1999 - 23:13:06 EDT

At 10:56 AM 4/8/99 , you wrote:
>While performing some DML-inspired mods (Champion Truck Plugs, Mobil-1 Oil
>Filter, adjusting torsion bar height) last night, I was looking at the
>factory air cleaner config. (V6) I noticed that the cold air tube running
>from the air cleaner housing to the grill seemed like a great set-up with
>one small problem. There was a plastic "shield" mounted a mere 1/4" away
>from the grill-mounted inlet of the cold air tube. The amount of air
>available to this tube had to be minimal at best. So I preceded to remove
>said shield to give the tube as much air as possible. Now I know this might
>invite some criticism as far as foreign objects entering the air cleaner
>housing (bugs, sand, rain etc...) but the opening is well above the road
>surface and anything entering the tube must travel the entire distance
>up-hill and make an abrupt 90 degree turn. I can always add a pre-filter
>somewhere in line if needed. If this doesn't work, my next step is a
>poor-man's FIPK. Remove the stock air filter (leave the housing empty) cut
>the cold-air tube near the grill area and simply bolt a stock K&N cone
>filter to the end. Anyone else try this?

   Yep, this is a popular mod on Dakotas. (Although most folks end up
using an open element air filter or something like that, but at least it'll
let a bit more cold air into the engine bay in that case.) Supposedly,
there is a matching panel on the other side of the grille, but its harder
to get out due to the surrounding restrictions.

  If you're keeping your induction system basically stock, this will get a
bit more cold air to the engine.

                                               -Jon-