Re: TCI Torque convertor

From: Jim, Donna, Erin, and Brian (leefam@wcc.net)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 03:22:24 EDT

At 11:43 PM 4/8/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>Could someone tell me what is the difference between the lock up torque
>convertor that is standard on my 98 Dak and the one you can get for our daks
>from www.tciauto.com
>What is a torque convertor anyway???
>
>Jason

Basically, it does what the name implies. It converts torque. Most good
convertors increase the torque by a factor of 1.7 - 2.0 times. It really
multiplies the torque rating of the motor(much like gear ratios do), but
only does it for the first 45' - 60' or so(actually, it depends on vechicle
speed...). The stock convertor has a particular stall rating(1800 rpm???).
 Ever notice when you start from a dead stop, the motor goes to about
1800rpm before you really start accelerating. This is due to stall speed(I
think). Brake stall speed is when you mash the gas and the brakes, and the
rpms only go up to a certain rpm. Tires usually spin do to overpowering
the wheels first, though. At the strip, this means you have to launch
lower in the rpm range. With a higher stall convertor, the motor moves
higher up into the power range faster. Not only that, but you can launch
at a higher rpm and the convertor is probably going to be more efficient,
too. Those are pluses for drag racers. But, rock climbers and mudder guys
use them too, this is for the same reasons as above. They just need them
to be able to put the motor in the powerband to use the power more
efficiently.

Please correct me if I'm wrong fellow DMLers........

Side note: While in gas engines, you want to move the stall speed up to
where there is more power, in diesels, you go down. This cause of the low
rpm power characteristics of diesel engines...

Brian