rear brake adjusting

From: Patrick and Kelly Engram (shetland@erols.com)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 10:42:45 EDT

" Then they tried to tell me that the rear brakes needed to be
adjusted (another $25.00, I've been in the auto parts bus. for 15 yrs.,
didn't know you needed to adjust self adjusting rear brakes???) "

-Unfortunately, the self adjusters freeze up frequently, and most people
dont
go in reverse fast enough to allow the self adjusters to work
correctly. I find
rear brakes out of adjustment all the time. Another symptom that may or
may
not hint that they are out-how quickly does your e-brake catch? Does it
go all
the way down to the floor, or does it engage after 3-4 clicks?
  Back to your caliper problem-the correct diagnostic procedure: While
the pads
are still clamping on the rotor on the problem side, open the bleeder
valve on that
side, then try to spin the rotor. If the rotor spins freely, the
problem is a bad
brake hose, master cylinder, or prop valve. If the rotor is still
tight, the slides on
the caliper are stuck, or the piston is stuck in the caliper. You gotta
figure out
which one is the problem...
Patrick