Tire Pressure Was: I made it to Milan Dragway Wed.

From: Bob Tom (tigers@bserv.com)
Date: Fri Apr 09 1999 - 16:36:35 EDT

On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Jon S wrote:
>I normally run my tires at 35psi on the street, but at the track, I
>deflate them to 30psi, which does seem to help.

Yup ... that article certainly caught my attention ... wasn't expecting
the inflate advice (if needed) myself.

At Cayuga, Dave launched at 1200 rpm (no spin), 1500 (no spin)
and at 1800 (spun for about 5 feet). This was on all-seasons ...
very good tires for all-seasons but definitely not sports tires.

We thought about lowering the rears to 30psi but checked the tires
at the end of each run and it looked like all the center grooves
to the edges were being used (no cupping) so we left them at 35psi.

On the last run, Dave 'experimented' in the lineup to see what kind
of traction would be there with the MP SBEC ... that caught a lot of
the others attention! As a result, he left the line on the 4th run
at virtually idle rpm and squeezed the throttle (spun the tires).

Bob
Burlington, Ontario

'97 CC Sport, 5.2L, 3.55, auto.