re: 96 LSD growl

From: brian duffey (brian.duffey@intelsat.int)
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 08:54:00 EDT

Ken,

Since I've been on the DML, this is the first I've heard anyone mention this
problem.
I always thought it was just unique to my '95 CC Dak! Your description is
one of the two I've heard as to what might cause this. I know when it
happens to my '95, it can sometimes make a God Awful noise, you'd think the
back end was going to fall off! The other explanation I've heard as a
possible cause, is that is might be a lifting in the rear suspension
components over time (ie: a long straight highway trip). Upon stopping
(pulling off highway) and then restarting, the rear suspension 'settles'
back into the normal position. I've always preferred the reasoning you
mentioned.

Oddly enough, this has never caused any mechanical problems. I've had the
transmission and differential torn apart twice, both times by the same, very
reliable, non-dealer, transmission shop. They've never spotted any signs of
abnormal wear or damaged parts!? Upon exiting the highway, after one or two
turns, it goes away... so the figure 8 thing makes sense (kind of).

My DAK is going into this shop again this week for its yearly Tranny service
and check over. I'll let you know if they spot anything this time around.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this unique "issue" (can't really
call it a problem).

Later,

Duff
'95 SLT 4x4 CC 318 4spd/OD - 3.55 LSD
MSD 6AL - MSD Blaster Coil - Rancho 5000/9000
MSD 8.5 wires - K&N FIPK - F&B Stage I TBI
-------------
Original Text
From AVALLONE@SMTPGATE (K. Avallone) {avallone@esslink.com}, on 12/04/1999
7:55 AM:
To: DAKOTA-T@SMTPGATE {dakota-truck@buffnet.net}

I recently acquired a 96 Dak CC with a limited slip from a private sale.
Problem that I am having is this. After driving for a short while on the
highway (~7miles) and coming to a stop, there is a growl from the rear end
that sounds like it is going to come apart. I have an extended warranty on
the truck and am taking it in for the dealer who 'owns' the warranty to look
at it. I talked to the service dept and the guy has looked at this vehicle
before (with the previous owner). He claims that it is 'normal', that it is
the clutches in the LSD that get 'tightened up when driving straight for
extended times'. And that I should go to a parking lot and drive in figure
8's for while to loose them up.
Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal? I have driven quite a few
trucks and have never heard anything like this before.

Ken Avallone

-------------------------[ Content-type: text/html ]------------------------
<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>I recently acquired a 96 Dak CC with a limited
[...]
to loose them up.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this
normal? I
have driven quite a few trucks and have never heard anything like this
before.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=Arial size=2>Ken Avallone</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>