Re: Re: Traction

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Mon Apr 12 1999 - 11:38:00 EDT

It takes more power (torque) to turn the 3.55's (from a stop) and with
lower-grade tires, something is going to give...normally, the tires.
(Traction Loss)

When you change the gears, (3.92's would also work), it takes less power
(torque) to turn the wheels thus preventing the tires from breaking free
right away.

There are a lot of variable in this but that is the basics.

To make it even easier...and in "Hot Rodder" talk: On my old BB Camaro, I
had 3.23's on it for everyday driving but when I took it to the track
(Pro-Street Class Bracket Racing), I could smoke the tires all day but
never was able to "hook up" like I wanted it to. I changed the gears over
to 4.11 and watched my E.T's get better and could "hook up" the rear wheels
with almost no slippage. (Bear in mind that I had 450+ FT LBS of Torque
and 480+ Horsepower available.)

In your situation, I would probably choose the 3.92's (R/T's come with them
anyway) and a 235/70 (BFG Radial T/A is my personal choice).

At 09:03 AM 04/12/1999 +0000, you wrote:
>----- Question -----
>Why would going to 4.10 gears give better traction?
>Am I missing something here?
>
>Bob, Burlinton.
>

>----- Response -----
>bernd@texas.net replied: