Re: DML msg. mgt.

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 14 1999 - 20:10:31 EDT

At 12:43 AM 4/14/99 , you wrote:
>Does anyone know a practical way to manage the large volume of messages
>received at this DML .
>I find the messages very informative as I progress in my knowledge of
>the Dakota. For example is there anyway that message topics received can
>be limited to self selected subject areas thereby not retrieving
>messages or subjects not of current concern? I'm trying to hang on here
>but cannot spend 30 minutes a day reading subject identifiers and
>deleting all but the 10 to 15 % that I currently have as objects of
>interest. Perhaps I need a computer users course?

   I highly recommend an e-mail client with message filtering capabilities.
 I'm sure there are several e-mail programs with this feature. I know
Outlook has it, and I use Eudora Pro which also does filtering. I have it
set up so that all the mail from a particular mailing list will go into a
seperate mailbox. You can go further than this if you wanted to though;
for example you could have it delete all DML mail that does not contain the
phrase "throttle body", or whatever... I find that downloading all the
messages and having them filtered into a seperate mailbox is easier than
the digest mode. (The messages are easier to reply to, and I can just scan
down the subjects and delete any I know I don't want to read.)

  I don't know what I did before e-mail filtering! I wouldn't be able to
get by without it now! :-)

                                               -Jon-