The JBA header rattle problem is now solved for real...

From: Michael & Jeannine Reynolds (jeanninemike@fuse.net)
Date: Thu Apr 15 1999 - 18:27:05 EDT

Fellow DML'ers:

You may remember that I sent out a message last February about a header
rattle on my '98 Dakota 4X4 CC 5.2L with JBA headers. Well, the rattle was
being caused by the Y-pipe flange hitting the passenger side frame rail when
making a hard left turn or a fast get-away. Jeff from JBA sent me a patch
of thermal blanket to tie around the frame rail to cushion the rattle.
Well, this worked for a few days, but then the rattle came back, although it
was somewhat muted. Jeff offered to send me a new header for the passenger
side for free, thinking that somehow my header was defective due to some
production line tolerances. Rather than have to pay for another header
installation, I asked Jeff if it was O.K. to have Midas grind off about
1/8-1/4" from the flange. He said that it would be O.K., and that JBA would
still honor my warranty (these are some good guys!). Yesterday, Midas
ground off about 1/8" from the flange and now the problem is completely
solved. Jeff also left me with a standing offer on the new Y pipe for
Dakota's/Durango's. He said that he would let me have one for $88, which
was their distributor cost. I'll probably pass, since I've heard that this
pipe will only give me 2-3 H.P. But, I just wanted to relate to you this
story so that you can see that JBA takes care of its customers.

Michael Reynolds
'98 Dakota CC 4X4 5.2L
Flame Red
JBA headers, 180 T-stat.