Re[2]: Sand (Kyle)Rules!

From: fawcett@uism.bu.edu
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 06:25:35 EDT

<<Tom,
Just curious, since I have never really went 4wheelin on a beach or in very
sandy conditions(other than very dry, 'sandy' cornfields), did you have to air
your tires down at all? Was there any traction problems? What kind of tires are
you running(Not that I would switch, just am curious! )? Thanks. Kyle>>
Yep. Airing down is the key, as a matter of fact it's required. The Park
Service has an area designated for this with air pumps to air up when you come
back off the trail... Gotta' love those Park Service folks! I took mine down
to about 12 psi and my Kota just glides over the sand. No traction problems
whatsoever. BOY, is it tough to turn those wheels on the pavement though --my
power steering system has gotta' be pissed at me! I still have the stock
31x10.5 Goodyear RT/S's. The Park Service has a minimum requirement of P225's
for a 15" wheel, but I think that's a bit small for the weight of our trucks.
I wouldn't be comfortable with anything smaller than P245's for sand in a
Dakota (just my opinion here).

It sure sounds like you need a vacation, Kyle! Why don't ya' head on out to
the Cape for a week and give it a try! :-)
Tom