Re: 2wd spring over axle (was Velvet-ride Shackles)

From: Bernd D. Ratsch (bernd@texas.net)
Date: Fri Apr 16 1999 - 17:56:32 EDT

The brake lines on the '97+ Dak's are of decent length and no alteration was
required on the Fabtech 3" Kit. With the "Spring Over" conversion, it looks
like the brake lines either have to be unclipped from the mounts, or
replaced with longer lines (Stainless Covered of course). To use blocks,
the spring must be above the axle...if the springs are below, you'll lower
it....Now we don't want that. ;)

I sent the idea to Shawn (Tech Manager at Fabtech) and he thought it would
work as well. But, the lower shackle mounts need to be removed, flipped
upside down, and either rewelded and/or bolted back onto the frame. Longer
shocks are required for this as well. I wouldn't mind raising the truck
just a little bit more, but on the 2WD, the front rack won't take any
further lift. (Suspension/Rack angle's are at almost Max with the 3" lift.

Pinion angle will be affected but it's nothing that a custom driveshaft
can't handle. (Been looking into this already with my truck.)