RE: Backspace of the 17x9 R/T wheel??

From: Brent Hackl (BHackl@mail.nrginfo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 19 1999 - 00:31:10 EDT

Here's what I've learned or been told about the 17x9 R/T wheels (mostly from all the helpful people on the DML):

- backspacing is 6.5" (15x7's are 5.5", 15x8's are 6.0")
- "frontspacing" therefore is 2.5" (9" total width)
- same OFFSET as the 15x7 and 15x8 Dodge wheels, therefore a 17" tire with the same diameter and section width as the stock 15" tires should not rub because it would be located in the same place
relative to the truck (note that the RIM LIP will stick out a bit more to the inside and to the outside, but the tire's sidewall should be in approx. the same location, just with less bulging)
- people with 4x2 Daks haven't had problems using the 17x9 R/T wheels

I'll be putting 17x9 R/T wheels and Dunlop Sport Rover GTX P275/60 R17 tires on my 99 Dakota 4x4 5.2 CC as soon as it arrives from the factory. The diameter and section width specs on the Dunlops are
nearly identical to the stock 31x10.5 15" Goodyear Wranglers, so I don't THINK they'll rub. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Hope this helps.

...Brent