Re: Engine Check light is at a constant on

From: Jon Steiger (stei0302@cs.fredonia.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 20 1999 - 04:07:41 EDT

At 11:16 PM 4/19/99 , you wrote:
>Okay, i have a problem of the following mods i have. what can be triggering
>my "check engine" light to come on?
>-180 degree stat
>-electrical fans
>-cat back exhaust
>-automatic starter?
>-10" k&n air filter setup
>i'm dazed. i've unplugged the computer harness, the negative wire. and
>nothing. i double checked everything. it started around 5 this afternoon.
>it's the first "warm day" we've had this year, could that be the problem.
>it's been raining the past 4 days HARD and today it's dry and clear.. any
>suggestions?
>-Dester
>PS. where can i get those code readers?

   You've got one built into your '97 Dak. :-) Well, its not quite as
good as knowing the exact code, but it'll get you in the ballpark. Put the
key in your ignition, and turn it "on" three times. Don't go to start,
just to the "on" position. (on, off, on, off, on) Leave it in the on
position, and watch your digital odometer. It should display the first
code. Make a note of it, then quickly turn your key off and on, and it
will display the next code. Keep going like that until you've read all the
codes. Plug 'em into here:

http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/www/dakota/codes

  and find out what yer problem is.

  You'll probably get a 12 and a 55, they're nothing to worry about.
(battery cable disconnected within the last 50 key-on cycles, and end of
codes) If you've got a check engine light though, you should get a code
besides those two. That'll help to narrow the problem down.

------------------------

   Just looking at your mods above, I'm not quite sure what the problem is,
none of that stuff should cause a code. If I had to hazard a guess...

  - Maybe the wiring wasn't put together quite right when the electric
starter was installed?

  - Maybe you bumped something or forgot to re-attach a sensor while you
were doing some mods?

  - Does your electric fan run all the time, or turn on at too cool of a
temperature? Its possible that the fan and the 180 degree t-stat are
conspiring to keep the engine too cool. (This will give you a code 17)

  - Maybe its something completely unrelated to the mods; it might misfires
from a bad tank of gas, or an O2 sensor that's gone bad, or... a multitude
of other things.

  If the "do it yourself" method of pulling the codes doesn't work for you,
you'll have to go to a dealer/garage/individual that can pull the codes
from the OBD-II data port.

                                               -Jon-